Let’s Get Wild!

Did you know that tigers are the largest cat species in the world, and are the third-largest carnivore on land- only polar bears and brown bears are larger? Can you guess what we’re talking about today? That’s right, tigers! These beautiful, graceful, and all-around stunning creatures captured my heart long ago and I’ve been a devoted fan ever since. I could go on forever about why I love tigers, but this blog isn’t about me, so I will stop now.  

Meet the founders Dean and Prayeri Harrison:

Before I go into a rescue story involving a tiger, I will talk about the organization that was responsible for the rescue; the Out of Africa Wildlife Park, Arizona. From their website, I quote, “The mission of Out of Africa Wildlife Park is to create the ultimate animal adventure for all ages, one steeped in fun, immersed in learning, and inspired by a living and colorful world of astonishing wildlife.” And no, this is not some sort of amusement park with animals. They want to provide top care for their animals, help people learn about them, providing the opportunity for them to be at one with nature. They feel that giving due honor and respect for the amazing creatures they care for is of the upmost importance.  

The Out of Africa Wildlife Park provides the chance to get up close to nature:

The park is currently home to several animals that were rescued from bad situations. Every year the park receives numerous requests from people who want to donate wild animals or exotic pets. Sadly, they cannot provide homes for all of them. But when they must turn animals away, they gladly help to find another suitable home for them.  

Staff with Ezekiel, one of the park’s tigers:

One of the many animals they’ve helped is Vista; a beautiful Bengal Tiger. In 2008, a 15-month-old tiger in desperate need of a home was brought to the attention of the park founders Dean and Prayeri Harrison. She was being illegally owned, kept in a 30’ by 30’ enclosure with access to the owner’s house. She was quickly placed in their care, and they began to help revive her natural instincts.  

Vista:

Life in isolation and captivity for so long had left her a shell of a tiger, afraid of vehicles, strangers, and any sudden movements. She also didn’t play, which was a usual characteristic of tigers. To help her learn to play, they decided to bring in Zion and Ezekiel, two 11-month-old Indo-Chinese tigers already living at the park. They got along fine until Zion playfully pawed at Vista’s neck. Vista immediately showed signs of utter fear. Zion and Ezekiel were quickly removed, and they enacted plan B: obtaining some younger big cats that wouldn’t present a threat to her.  

Dean playing with one of the tigers:

The Park ended up with a lot of young cats; Chalet, a white tiger, Kumba and Kora, two lioness cubs, and Enoch and Silhouette, two black leopard cubs. These babies provided a good environment for Vista to regain her instincts and conquer her fears. Day by day she progresses, becoming bolder and more confident. Thanks to the Out of Africa Wildlife Park, “Vista, who was once lost, is now found.” 

Don’t you love happy endings? Me too. Check out the Out of Africa Park website to hear more stories with happy endings. Do you have any stories you think I should blog about? Be sure to comment your suggestions. Have a wild week!